Phase One orthodontic treatment is typically recommended for younger children to help ensure that their mouth and jaw develop correctly and prevent the need for additional treatment in the future. When your child visits Manhattan Family Orthodontics for their initial orthodontic screening at age 7, our orthodontists and team will carefully evaluate their mouth to determine if Phase One treatment is right for their needs. Call us today to make an appointment with Dr. Kris Togias and associates and learn more about Phase One treatment in New York City, New York.
Each child has unique oral health needs. For some children, treatment will produce the best results when it begins before all their permanent teeth erupt. For others, treatment should begin after the adult teeth have all fully erupted. Determining the right time to begin treatment is crucial to helping children enjoy a smile that is stable, functional and aesthetically pleasing.
The goal of Phase One treatment is to harmonize the growth of the upper and lower jaws, including creating space in the mouth for all permanent teeth to erupt properly. Benefits of this early treatment include:
- Reduced risk that teeth will need to be extracted prior to future treatment
- Reduced risk of trauma to protruding teeth
- The teeth and jaws are guided into more favorable positions
- Crowding and spacing issues are more easily managed
- Harmful habits can be corrected earlier
- Improved appearance and self-esteem for children
Signs that your child could benefit from Phase One treatment include:
- Open bites
- Deep bites where the lower front teeth dig into the roof of the mouth
If you have any questions about Phase One orthodontic treatment, or to schedule a consultation with our experienced orthodontists, contact our office today.